Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The pharmacy technician or pharmaceutical technician as it sometimes otherwise known is healthcare profession who works very closely with the pharmacist. They perform many pharmacy related functions and can be found working in pharmacies or chemists, hospitals, nursing homes and other settings, such as patient care facilities. This is a complicated yet exciting career path. If you are considering a career as a pharmacy technician this article sets out the skills required and education requirements. There are many different types of courses available, we suggest you contact your local schools and education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to review the courses available and programs on offer.
Skills Necessary to be a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The key skills required to work as a pharmacy technician include:
- Extreme care and attention to detail – Pharmacy technicians need to remember and weight each step because they are to follow the medical prescriptions exactly, where even a little mistake may cause harm on others, and they also deal with complicated documentation.
- Attention and responsiveness – Pharmaceutical technicians deal not only with documentation and prescriptions but also with people who may be confused with their treatment plans and require extra explanation of what they have been prescribed, time schedule they are to take their medicines and many other concerns the patients may have.
- Patience – Responding to various requests from patients may be challenging as patients are often unwell and therefore under stress.
- Responsibility – As with every health care practitioner, a person working in this sphere should not be afraid of taking responsibility for his/her decisions and actions.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in New York
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.S. Mind-Body Medicine
- Ph.D. Mind-Body Medicine
- Online Bachelor's programs include Healthcare Management, Public Health, IT, Psychology, BBA & Criminal Justice
- Dedicated to delivering quality education and personalized attention to students since 1899
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Fitness & Nutrition
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Nursing (Post-licensure) - Bachelor
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
Specific Study and Relevant Courses and Training Required to be a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
There are a variety of levels of education, starting with diplomas and associate programs. Some schools and universities take this further offering to obtain an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology. The highest rank, which you may achieve in this profession, is to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. The certification and examination is very challenging, however you will be rewarded if you pass an exam after gaining an Associate of Science degree.
Some schools and training facilities also offer practical training such as completing an internship in a pharmacy. In fact this is also often required to gain employment as a pharmacy technical.
Given the diverse nature of the curriculum and many different schools and education providers offering training relevant to pharmacy technical field, we recommend you contact the relevant schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to determine what course is best suited for you. This website is one tool you can use to search for the most relevant institutions.
Subjects That Are Covered by Pharmacy Technology Science in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Except for basic subjects, which all healthcare practitioners study, pharmaceutical technicians must gain extensive knowledge in chemistry, medical terminology, abbreviations and documentation as well as study mathematics to be able to perform the relevant calculations.
Don’t be alarmed or overwhelmed by the highly technical nature of the subject material, you can undertake courses and classes where you will be trained and taught by experienced professionals.
Typical Activities of a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Some major duties of a pharmacy technician include:
- Pricing and Sales Monitoring – As a part of the daily routine, technicians usually check and price all the prescriptions.
- Administrative duties – Those technicians who work in hospitals and patient care facilities communicate with the customers. Thus, they provide so-called “customer services”. Pharmacy technicians chat with customers, answer phone calls, operate cash register, and respond to any concerns regarding medications from patients.
- Substitution duties – In addition to the activities mentioned above, pharmacy technicians may perform responsibilities of the pharmacist if he or she is not available.
Median Salary of a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, the median pay of a pharmacy technician amounts to $28,400 per year. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this job is one of the most promising in healthcare because the employment in Pharmacy Technology is set to grow by 32% in period from 2010 to 2020.
Many large employers of pharmacy technicians give strong preference to those who are certified with a national and or local pharmacy board. Again this involves taking an exam. Education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York can provide classes and training to assist you on this front. We encourage you to contact these organizations to determine how to best enhance you career prospects.