Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The pharmacy technician or pharmaceutical technician as it sometimes otherwise known is healthcare profession who works very closely with the pharmacist. They perform many pharmacy related functions and can be found working in pharmacies or chemists, hospitals, nursing homes and other settings, such as patient care facilities. This is a complicated yet exciting career path. If you are considering a career as a pharmacy technician this article sets out the skills required and education requirements. There are many different types of courses available, we suggest you contact your local schools and education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to review the courses available and programs on offer.
Skills Necessary to be a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The key skills required to work as a pharmacy technician include:
- Extreme care and attention to detail – Pharmacy technicians need to remember and weight each step because they are to follow the medical prescriptions exactly, where even a little mistake may cause harm on others, and they also deal with complicated documentation.
- Attention and responsiveness – Pharmaceutical technicians deal not only with documentation and prescriptions but also with people who may be confused with their treatment plans and require extra explanation of what they have been prescribed, time schedule they are to take their medicines and many other concerns the patients may have.
- Patience – Responding to various requests from patients may be challenging as patients are often unwell and therefore under stress.
- Responsibility – As with every health care practitioner, a person working in this sphere should not be afraid of taking responsibility for his/her decisions and actions.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in New York
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S.- Health Sciences (Pharmacy Technician)
- Diploma - Pharmacy Technician
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care
The Berkeley Advantage®is preparing students for professional and personal successt. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- BBA in Health Services Management
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Assistant - Eve
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
Specific Study and Relevant Courses and Training Required to be a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
There are a variety of levels of education, starting with diplomas and associate programs. Some schools and universities take this further offering to obtain an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology. The highest rank, which you may achieve in this profession, is to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. The certification and examination is very challenging, however you will be rewarded if you pass an exam after gaining an Associate of Science degree.
Some schools and training facilities also offer practical training such as completing an internship in a pharmacy. In fact this is also often required to gain employment as a pharmacy technical.
Given the diverse nature of the curriculum and many different schools and education providers offering training relevant to pharmacy technical field, we recommend you contact the relevant schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to determine what course is best suited for you. This website is one tool you can use to search for the most relevant institutions.
Subjects That Are Covered by Pharmacy Technology Science in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Except for basic subjects, which all healthcare practitioners study, pharmaceutical technicians must gain extensive knowledge in chemistry, medical terminology, abbreviations and documentation as well as study mathematics to be able to perform the relevant calculations.
Don’t be alarmed or overwhelmed by the highly technical nature of the subject material, you can undertake courses and classes where you will be trained and taught by experienced professionals.
Typical Activities of a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Some major duties of a pharmacy technician include:
- Pricing and Sales Monitoring – As a part of the daily routine, technicians usually check and price all the prescriptions.
- Administrative duties – Those technicians who work in hospitals and patient care facilities communicate with the customers. Thus, they provide so-called “customer services”. Pharmacy technicians chat with customers, answer phone calls, operate cash register, and respond to any concerns regarding medications from patients.
- Substitution duties – In addition to the activities mentioned above, pharmacy technicians may perform responsibilities of the pharmacist if he or she is not available.
Median Salary of a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, the median pay of a pharmacy technician amounts to $28,400 per year. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this job is one of the most promising in healthcare because the employment in Pharmacy Technology is set to grow by 32% in period from 2010 to 2020.
Many large employers of pharmacy technicians give strong preference to those who are certified with a national and or local pharmacy board. Again this involves taking an exam. Education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York can provide classes and training to assist you on this front. We encourage you to contact these organizations to determine how to best enhance you career prospects.