Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The pharmacy technician or pharmaceutical technician as it sometimes otherwise known is healthcare profession who works very closely with the pharmacist. They perform many pharmacy related functions and can be found working in pharmacies or chemists, hospitals, nursing homes and other settings, such as patient care facilities. This is a complicated yet exciting career path. If you are considering a career as a pharmacy technician this article sets out the skills required and education requirements. There are many different types of courses available, we suggest you contact your local schools and education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to review the courses available and programs on offer.
Skills Necessary to be a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The key skills required to work as a pharmacy technician include:
- Extreme care and attention to detail – Pharmacy technicians need to remember and weight each step because they are to follow the medical prescriptions exactly, where even a little mistake may cause harm on others, and they also deal with complicated documentation.
- Attention and responsiveness – Pharmaceutical technicians deal not only with documentation and prescriptions but also with people who may be confused with their treatment plans and require extra explanation of what they have been prescribed, time schedule they are to take their medicines and many other concerns the patients may have.
- Patience – Responding to various requests from patients may be challenging as patients are often unwell and therefore under stress.
- Responsibility – As with every health care practitioner, a person working in this sphere should not be afraid of taking responsibility for his/her decisions and actions.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in New York
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S.- Health Sciences (Pharmacy Technician)
- Diploma - Pharmacy Technician
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.S. Mind-Body Medicine
- Ph.D. Mind-Body Medicine
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Dynamic Virtual Campus Experience – Classes are hosted in weekly, face-to-face online settings that utilize video conferencing technology to create an intimate learning environment.
- Demanding Academic and Admissions Standards – MPH@GW students are held to the same selective admissions criteria as on-campus students, and complete the same academically rigorous curriculum.
- Real Courses Delivered by Real Faculty – The GW faculty are world-renowned leaders in the field, and personally design and teach MPH@GW courses.
- Hands-On Field Placement Learning – Students will complete a customized practicum field experience that is designed to build hands-on skill in a student’s chosen career path.
- Master of Public Health
- Online Bachelor's programs include Healthcare Management, Public Health, IT, Psychology, BBA & Criminal Justice
- Dedicated to delivering quality education and personalized attention to students since 1899
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Master of Public Health
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor?s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Medical Office Administration
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Administrative Assistant
Specific Study and Relevant Courses and Training Required to be a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
There are a variety of levels of education, starting with diplomas and associate programs. Some schools and universities take this further offering to obtain an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology. The highest rank, which you may achieve in this profession, is to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. The certification and examination is very challenging, however you will be rewarded if you pass an exam after gaining an Associate of Science degree.
Some schools and training facilities also offer practical training such as completing an internship in a pharmacy. In fact this is also often required to gain employment as a pharmacy technical.
Given the diverse nature of the curriculum and many different schools and education providers offering training relevant to pharmacy technical field, we recommend you contact the relevant schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to determine what course is best suited for you. This website is one tool you can use to search for the most relevant institutions.
Subjects That Are Covered by Pharmacy Technology Science in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Except for basic subjects, which all healthcare practitioners study, pharmaceutical technicians must gain extensive knowledge in chemistry, medical terminology, abbreviations and documentation as well as study mathematics to be able to perform the relevant calculations.
Don’t be alarmed or overwhelmed by the highly technical nature of the subject material, you can undertake courses and classes where you will be trained and taught by experienced professionals.
Typical Activities of a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Some major duties of a pharmacy technician include:
- Pricing and Sales Monitoring – As a part of the daily routine, technicians usually check and price all the prescriptions.
- Administrative duties – Those technicians who work in hospitals and patient care facilities communicate with the customers. Thus, they provide so-called “customer services”. Pharmacy technicians chat with customers, answer phone calls, operate cash register, and respond to any concerns regarding medications from patients.
- Substitution duties – In addition to the activities mentioned above, pharmacy technicians may perform responsibilities of the pharmacist if he or she is not available.
Median Salary of a Pharmacy Technician in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, the median pay of a pharmacy technician amounts to $28,400 per year. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this job is one of the most promising in healthcare because the employment in Pharmacy Technology is set to grow by 32% in period from 2010 to 2020.
Many large employers of pharmacy technicians give strong preference to those who are certified with a national and or local pharmacy board. Again this involves taking an exam. Education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York can provide classes and training to assist you on this front. We encourage you to contact these organizations to determine how to best enhance you career prospects.