Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
The pharmacy technician or pharmaceutical technician as it sometimes otherwise known is healthcare profession who works very closely with the pharmacist. They perform many pharmacy related functions and can be found working in pharmacies or chemists, hospitals, nursing homes and other settings, such as patient care facilities. This is a complicated yet exciting career path. If you are considering a career as a pharmacy technician this article sets out the skills required and education requirements. There are many different types of courses available, we suggest you contact your local schools and education providers in Cicero IL and greater Illinois to review the courses available and programs on offer.
Skills Necessary to be a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
The key skills required to work as a pharmacy technician include:
- Extreme care and attention to detail – Pharmacy technicians need to remember and weight each step because they are to follow the medical prescriptions exactly, where even a little mistake may cause harm on others, and they also deal with complicated documentation.
- Attention and responsiveness – Pharmaceutical technicians deal not only with documentation and prescriptions but also with people who may be confused with their treatment plans and require extra explanation of what they have been prescribed, time schedule they are to take their medicines and many other concerns the patients may have.
- Patience – Responding to various requests from patients may be challenging as patients are often unwell and therefore under stress.
- Responsibility – As with every health care practitioner, a person working in this sphere should not be afraid of taking responsibility for his/her decisions and actions.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Illinois
- Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician Program
Specific Study and Relevant Courses and Training Required to be a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
There are a variety of levels of education, starting with diplomas and associate programs. Some schools and universities take this further offering to obtain an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology. The highest rank, which you may achieve in this profession, is to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. The certification and examination is very challenging, however you will be rewarded if you pass an exam after gaining an Associate of Science degree.
Some schools and training facilities also offer practical training such as completing an internship in a pharmacy. In fact this is also often required to gain employment as a pharmacy technical.
Given the diverse nature of the curriculum and many different schools and education providers offering training relevant to pharmacy technical field, we recommend you contact the relevant schools in Cicero IL and greater Illinois to determine what course is best suited for you. This website is one tool you can use to search for the most relevant institutions.
Subjects That Are Covered by Pharmacy Technology Science in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
Except for basic subjects, which all healthcare practitioners study, pharmaceutical technicians must gain extensive knowledge in chemistry, medical terminology, abbreviations and documentation as well as study mathematics to be able to perform the relevant calculations.
Don’t be alarmed or overwhelmed by the highly technical nature of the subject material, you can undertake courses and classes where you will be trained and taught by experienced professionals.
Typical Activities of a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
Some major duties of a pharmacy technician include:
- Pricing and Sales Monitoring – As a part of the daily routine, technicians usually check and price all the prescriptions.
- Administrative duties – Those technicians who work in hospitals and patient care facilities communicate with the customers. Thus, they provide so-called “customer services”. Pharmacy technicians chat with customers, answer phone calls, operate cash register, and respond to any concerns regarding medications from patients.
- Substitution duties – In addition to the activities mentioned above, pharmacy technicians may perform responsibilities of the pharmacist if he or she is not available.
Median Salary of a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, the median pay of a pharmacy technician amounts to $28,400 per year. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this job is one of the most promising in healthcare because the employment in Pharmacy Technology is set to grow by 32% in period from 2010 to 2020.
Many large employers of pharmacy technicians give strong preference to those who are certified with a national and or local pharmacy board. Again this involves taking an exam. Education providers in Cicero IL and greater Illinois can provide classes and training to assist you on this front. We encourage you to contact these organizations to determine how to best enhance you career prospects.