Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
The pharmacy technician or pharmaceutical technician as it sometimes otherwise known is healthcare profession who works very closely with the pharmacist. They perform many pharmacy related functions and can be found working in pharmacies or chemists, hospitals, nursing homes and other settings, such as patient care facilities. This is a complicated yet exciting career path. If you are considering a career as a pharmacy technician this article sets out the skills required and education requirements. There are many different types of courses available, we suggest you contact your local schools and education providers in Cicero IL and greater Illinois to review the courses available and programs on offer.
Skills Necessary to be a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
The key skills required to work as a pharmacy technician include:
- Extreme care and attention to detail – Pharmacy technicians need to remember and weight each step because they are to follow the medical prescriptions exactly, where even a little mistake may cause harm on others, and they also deal with complicated documentation.
- Attention and responsiveness – Pharmaceutical technicians deal not only with documentation and prescriptions but also with people who may be confused with their treatment plans and require extra explanation of what they have been prescribed, time schedule they are to take their medicines and many other concerns the patients may have.
- Patience – Responding to various requests from patients may be challenging as patients are often unwell and therefore under stress.
- Responsibility – As with every health care practitioner, a person working in this sphere should not be afraid of taking responsibility for his/her decisions and actions.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Illinois
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Health Care Administration
- BA/Health Care Administration
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Specific Study and Relevant Courses and Training Required to be a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
There are a variety of levels of education, starting with diplomas and associate programs. Some schools and universities take this further offering to obtain an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology. The highest rank, which you may achieve in this profession, is to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. The certification and examination is very challenging, however you will be rewarded if you pass an exam after gaining an Associate of Science degree.
Some schools and training facilities also offer practical training such as completing an internship in a pharmacy. In fact this is also often required to gain employment as a pharmacy technical.
Given the diverse nature of the curriculum and many different schools and education providers offering training relevant to pharmacy technical field, we recommend you contact the relevant schools in Cicero IL and greater Illinois to determine what course is best suited for you. This website is one tool you can use to search for the most relevant institutions.
Subjects That Are Covered by Pharmacy Technology Science in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
Except for basic subjects, which all healthcare practitioners study, pharmaceutical technicians must gain extensive knowledge in chemistry, medical terminology, abbreviations and documentation as well as study mathematics to be able to perform the relevant calculations.
Don’t be alarmed or overwhelmed by the highly technical nature of the subject material, you can undertake courses and classes where you will be trained and taught by experienced professionals.
Typical Activities of a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
Some major duties of a pharmacy technician include:
- Pricing and Sales Monitoring – As a part of the daily routine, technicians usually check and price all the prescriptions.
- Administrative duties – Those technicians who work in hospitals and patient care facilities communicate with the customers. Thus, they provide so-called “customer services”. Pharmacy technicians chat with customers, answer phone calls, operate cash register, and respond to any concerns regarding medications from patients.
- Substitution duties – In addition to the activities mentioned above, pharmacy technicians may perform responsibilities of the pharmacist if he or she is not available.
Median Salary of a Pharmacy Technician in Cicero IL and Greater Illinois
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, the median pay of a pharmacy technician amounts to $28,400 per year. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this job is one of the most promising in healthcare because the employment in Pharmacy Technology is set to grow by 32% in period from 2010 to 2020.
Many large employers of pharmacy technicians give strong preference to those who are certified with a national and or local pharmacy board. Again this involves taking an exam. Education providers in Cicero IL and greater Illinois can provide classes and training to assist you on this front. We encourage you to contact these organizations to determine how to best enhance you career prospects.